Just a reminder that High Point Market is coming up October 13th. Sure, it’s a great experience to see amazing products,….but it’s also a chance to network, attend seminars, hear some famous speakers, and a chance to gain a little free education that can inspire you the rest of the year. To see the full listing of seminars by day, click here. Here are a few of my favorites from just the opening weekend that I wish I could attend:
Modern “Candice Olson” Meets Traditional “Ann Maine”
- When: 12pm – 1pm, Sat. Oct. 13
- Where: IHFC – Green Wing, 11th Floor, Ballroom A
- Two design icons, North America’s most loved and recognized design personality/HGTV star Candice Olson and Traditional Home Editor in chief, Ann Maine will discuss design and color trends as well as Candice Olson’s new collection of upholstery and case goods with Highland House. Sponsored by IMC and IFDA, Carolinas Chapter, $20 includes lunch. Seating will be limited and advance registration is required. Reservation is secured upon receipt of payment. Mail check to IMC, Attn: Leigh Chastain, P O Box 828, High Point NC 27261, or email Lchastain@imcenters.com to request a credit card authorization form.
I had the pleasure to hear Candice Olson speak when she was at Market several years ago,…and she is as friendly, funny, and down to earth as her persona on TV.
Trend Forecast 2013 For The Home Furnishings & Antiques Industry
- When: 2pm – 3:30pm, Sat. Oct. 13
- Where: Market Square, Antique & Design Center Lecture Room on Mezzanine Level
- Bill Indursky, co-founder of www.VandM.com, one of the largest vintage, antique, and design websites on the net today, returns for the fourth time to offer his popular design trend forecast for the home furnishings and antiques industry, as well as explain the larger context that shapes his forecast.
ELEVATE Your Business Workshop
- When: 4pm – 4:45pm, Sat. Oct. 13
- Where: 220 Elm
- Decor Mentor founder Lisa Ferguson and her team of mentors have over 100 years of combined experience and will offer proven, yet fresh, tips and tools to elevate your design business. This intensive workshop for design pros will show you how to work through top “pain points.” You must pre-register to attend the workshop by emailing email@example.com.
WithIt Educational Breakfast: Kathy Ireland and Angelo Surmelis – Bootstrapping Your Brand in a Challenged Economy
- When: 7:30am – 9am, Sun. Oct. 14
- Where: IHFC – Green Wing, 11th Floor, Ballroom A
- Angelo Surmelis and Kathy Ireland, two individuals who have focused and dedicated themselves to the integrity of their brand story, have lessons to share that can help all companies go beyond surviving to thriving. Moderated by Julia Rosien, president of WithIt, Kathy and Angelo will discuss how to forecast from the bottom up, focus on each battle instead of the whole war, forget the proven team and work with start-up minded people. Sponsored by IMC and WithIt, Breakfast and Seminar are free of charge. Reservations are required by emailing Lchastain@imcenters.com or www.withit.org
Couture Kitchens: Sources and Suppliers
- When: 11am – 11:30am, Sun. Oct. 14
- Where: Market Square – Antique & Design Center Lecture Room on Mezzanine Level
- Rebecca Reynolds of Culinary Kitchen Designs, is a luxury kitchen designer, blogger and contributor to www.fashionanddecor.com. In this presentation, she discusses couture kitchens and how to bring personal style into your design by incorporating unique pieces that tell a story about a home’s inhabitants.
Using Social Media to Define and Establish Your Presence as a Designer
- When: 12pm – 1:30pm, Sun. Oct. 14
- Where: 741 W. Ward Ave. – ZAAR Design Center
- Ever feel lost in the crowd of design professionals? Why should a client choose to work with you over any other designer with a similar look? If you or your clients can’t answer this, join Traci Zeller, interior designer, blogger and Style Spotter (for the 2nd year) as she explains how to create a compelling online presence that will set you apart from your peers. Traci’s straightforward, manageable advice will empower you to use social media in a way that works for your business and your time-crunched schedule.
And last but not least…..(insert teen-aged girl scream here)…Rick Springfield. I remember a sleepover at Cathy Cashion’s when I was 8 that involved “Jesse’s Girl” being played and choreographed over and over. I still know all the words.
- Sunday, Oct. 14
- 7:30pm (doors at 7pm)
- Center Stage
- Co-sponsored by Surya.
- Rick Springfield will hit the stage with his unique brand of audience interaction, unstoppable energy, and unforgettable songs that have become part of the soundtrack to people’s lives. To date, Rick Springfield has sold over 19 million records with a whopping 17 top-40 hits. He has performed for millions of devoted fans over the last three decades and continues to play over 100 shows a year.
What educational, social, or networking event are YOU looking forward to at High Point Market this fall? Comment and let us know.